At times, you might find yourself in a situation where you decide to unfollow someone on Instagram, either due to the content they share or something they’ve said. Individuals aspiring to grow their Instagram following often aim to increase their followers but may refrain from following accounts that don’t align with their professional or personal interests.
Similarly, you may wish to streamline your following list by removing individuals with whom you are no longer friends or who don’t actively engage with your content.
However, a common question that arises is: Do people receive notifications when you unfollow them on Instagram?
If you’re curious about whether people are notified when you unfollow them on Instagram, this post will provide the answer you’re seeking.
Overview of Unfollowing Someone on Instagram
Engaging with others on Instagram through the act of following is a fundamental aspect of this social media platform, as it lacks an “add friend” option akin to Facebook.
Given this distinctive characteristic, unfollowing someone on Instagram can carry considerable weight and is likely to evoke feelings of hurt. Whether it’s a friend, family member, colleague, or influencer, individuals may wonder why you’ve chosen not to see their posts and stories anymore.
If you no longer wish to see someone’s posts in your feed, Instagram offers alternative options. You can mute or hide their posts and stories, providing a way to control the content you encounter without completely severing the connection. Blocking is also available, though it is considered a more drastic measure.
However, if you’ve determined that unfollowing is the best course of action, it’s crucial to be mindful of potential hurt feelings.
So, can people discern if you have unfollowed them on Instagram? Let’s explore below.
Do They Know When You Unfollow Someone on Instagram?
Instagram does not generate notifications when you unfollow someone. Consequently, you can discreetly unfollow an individual without them receiving an alert.
To unfollow someone using the Instagram mobile app, follow these steps:
1. Open the Instagram app on your mobile device.
2. Tap the profile icon located in the bottom right corner.
3. Tap “Following.”
4. In the search box, type the username of the person you want to unfollow.
5. Tap the “Following” button next to their username.
6. Select “Unfollow.”
While Instagram doesn’t directly notify someone about your unfollowing, there are still ways for them to discover this action on the platform. Let’s delve into these methods below.
How Do People Notice You Unfollowed Them on Instagram?
Discovering that you’ve unfollowed them on Instagram can happen in several ways:
How To Send Disappearing Photos on Instagram?
Method #1: Noticing a Decrease in Engagement
When you follow someone on Instagram, their posts and stories appear in your feed, and your engagement with their content (likes, comments, shares) is visible to them. If you used to actively engage but suddenly stop after unfollowing, they may notice the decline in interaction, indicating that you’ve unfollowed them.
Method #2: Reviewing Their Follower List
Some users regularly check their follower list. If the person you unfollowed engages in this behavior, they might realize you’re no longer listed among their followers, serving as a clear indication of your decision.
Method #3: Third-Party Apps for Tracking Unfollowers
Certain Instagram users, especially those with professional accounts, use third-party apps for insights. These apps notify users when someone unfollows them. If the person you unfollowed relies on such apps, they will receive a notification that you’ve unfollowed them. Examples of these apps include FollowMeter, Followers Tracker Pro, and Follow Cop.
It’s important to note that Instagram itself doesn’t provide direct notifications for unfollowing, but these methods can still make someone aware of your decision.
When opting to unfollow someone on Instagram, the platform refrains from sending them a notification, meaning they may not promptly realize your decision.
However, certain cues can reveal that you no longer follow them:
- Disengagement with their Posts and Stories: As their content no longer appears on your feed, you lose the ability to interact with their posts or stories. If you previously engaged with their content but abruptly stop, they might observe your absence and infer that you’ve unfollowed them.
- Follower List Check: Individuals who regularly review their follower list may notice your absence. If they indulge in this self-stalking habit, they could come across this change and comprehend that you have chosen to unfollow them.
- Third-Party Tracking Apps: Some Instagram users employ third-party apps to monitor their followers and unfollowers. These apps issue notifications when someone unfollows them. If the person you unfollowed relies on such apps, they might receive a notification indicating your decision to unfollow them.
While Instagram itself doesn’t directly inform users about unfollows, these indicators can convey to someone that you’ve opted to unfollow them on the platform.